Wednesday, August 10, 2011

kitchen appliances

Hmmm... blender or food processor?

My blender can handle a basic task like making these fruitsicles as we did a few weeks ago, but beyond that, it's unable to handle what I need it to. I tried to use it to make this Roasted Red Pepper Hummus by Kristen (@ We are THAT family) and it didn't have enough uumph to cut down the chickpeas. I ended up borrowing a large food processor (my mini was too small) and perfect-o, it gave me the correct consistency. And let me tell you, that recipe is the best I've tried so far. It is SOOO good! (Don't be intimidated by the tahini, I found it in our Harris Teeter, by the peanut butter. Since you only use a few tablespoons it'll last awhile).

So, now our blender is officially on its way to Goodwill (it has let me down before - it can't even make a smoothie) and I need to start watching prices on a replacement. However, I need to decide which would be the best all-purpose appliance for us. I would like to be able to make smoothies or shakes but think realistically I'll be wanting something to make hummus or salsa (or something else?) more often. I use my mini chopper a bunch, but with these larger recipes, the small size doesn't work.

Do you have either appliance? Which do you use more, and for what do you use it?
Team blender or Team processor? ;)

No comments: