Friday, February 26, 2010

adventures in cloth continue

I'm excited to say, we're figuring this thing out! Zane's been in primarily-cloth for the past couple of days now. I think the problem is that 5 of my 6 gDiapers are too small for him! (Duh). I bought a stash of 5 old style g's and 1 new style g. I had heard the old styles ran a bit smaller, but had heard better things about them (fit-wise) than the new ones, so I decided to purchase the old ones. However, for my chubby baby, the pleated cloth waistband just doesn't fit as well as the newer style elasticized waistband. I think the fact that I had the smaller style g's stuffed with the bulky prefolds led to my dissatisfaction. I couldn't get the g to fasten well with the large insert.
So... what to do... step 1, look for a smaller insert! While in Walmart, I purchased an 8 pack of microfiber terry cloths (for $5).
Taking guidance from here, I wrapped one microfiber cloth with one of Zane's receiving blankets (cut down to the size of a prefold). I inserted it in the gDiaper (new style shown here) liner and it is a much trimmer insert!

It still doesn't completely solve the fit issue that I'm having with the old style g's, however it helps for now. So, step 2, see about trying some newer new style g's. I just purchased two barely used new style gDiapers from a gal off of the gDiaper yahoo group yesterday. I truly think that will be the key to perfecting the technique, because even with the old style g's fitting small, I haven't had many leaking issues. I will continue to use my "no sew" inserts as well as the cotton prefolds I had purchased. I might hang on to the hemp inserts in case I start putting g's on him at night. I think the hemp could handle going all night. I'll go ahead and put the old styles back up for sale on diaperswappers. They are in great condition (as promised when I purchased them used), however just don't work for us.
I'm pleased. My husband is doing well with it as well. Now if I could just get my boy to keep his hands out of his diaper area, it'd be a lot easier! (But, that's a whole other post... boys will be boys - even at 3 mos!)

2 comments:

Dana Schmoyer said...

Glad to hear that cloth diapering is going well. Good job at getting creative on the prefolds! I'm tempted to sell off my old style gdiaps too and get new styles. Hannah just seems more comfy in the new. Plus all the snap in liners I bought don't fit well inside my old gpants, they don't stay snapped in.

Dana Schmoyer said...

Glad to hear that cloth diapering is going well. Good job at getting creative on the prefolds! I'm tempted to sell off my old style gdiaps too and get new styles. Hannah just seems more comfy in the new. Plus all the snap in liners I bought don't fit well inside my old gpants, they don't stay snapped in.