Monday, January 31, 2011

my actions

I've been spending my devotional/quiet time in the book of 1 John lately. I am walking through a Bible study written by Kay Aurthur and David Lawson, entitled, "God's Love Alive in You." I wanted to see what Kay Aurthur's inductive method was like and this is a simplified way of using it.
Anyways, I am in chapter 3 right now and it's opened my eyes... our actions matter. In verses 16-18, the writer John says, "By this we know love, that He laid down His life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth." Back in chapter 2, he said, "Whoever says he is in the light and hates his brother is still in darkness" (v9).
How much of my life is focused inward? How much of my day-to-day is centered around myself? I have been challenged to review my roles and felt conviction that I wasn't treating those roles as worthy as they truly are. I've tried to begin some daily habits to help put things in priority and take the focus off myself. But now God's Word is showing me that it's also about those outside my family.
Because music is always playing in our house & car (funny story, I'll tell you at the end)... reading over these verses reminds me of the song My Own Little World by Matthew West. "What if there's a bigger picture?
What if I'm missing out?
What if there's a greater purpose?
I could be living right now
Outside my own little world"
I have really seen my daughter blossom since becoming a big sister. I have seen more nurturing out of her in this past year than I have the previous six years. She truly loves her little brother and is (mostly) kind and gentle with him. She shares all her toys (the safe ones) without question. She is not a gentle person by nature. She is a rough and tumble gal that already has that female tendency to try and manipulate down pat. She has a lot of head knowledge of Christ, but I am praying that He penetrates her heart so that she will see her need for Him. Even with the birth of a sibling that has made her "own little world" expand, has her world been expanded enough? Are we doing enough as a family to expose her to the world outside her house? We volunteered as a family last summer at a warehouse to pack food for delivery to disadvantaged seniors. The experience was one that was perfect for Lynn to be able to help. My hubby's been talking about going back and making that a monthly thing. I agree. It's time to step out.
"Father, break my heart for what breaks Yours
Give me open hands and open doors
Put Your light in my eyes and let me see
That my own little world is not about me" (Matthew West)

Just because I promised the story at the end... my seven year old daughter asked me in the car one day if the car would run without the radio playing (it's always Christian stations)... I never realized how much it's on! Typically when we're talking, I'll just turn it down and we'll chat with it still on. We do talk quite often in the car, so I don't think it's keeping us from connecting, however it did make me question if it was a distraction for her. Kinda funny in a random sort of way...

No comments: