Friday, November 11, 2011

honored

Being Veteran's Day, I can't help but think about my grandfathers. Both are deceased. Both never wanted to talk much about the war while I was growing up. But, spending time with them during their last few years of life, I could see that they were very obviously effected by their war time experiences, as it was beginning to change who they were outwardly. It was in those last few years, when the mind started to weaken, that they began speaking harsher "soldier" language and becoming consumed with memories of those horrible times in active duty overseas. It's amazing how the mind holds on to those experiences, feelings, and visual images from so long ago. God brought them through those times but it impacted who they were, raising my mom and dad as children in their respective families. It just further raises my awareness, though, of what they and other veterans (as well as current day active duty) servicemen and women went through.

It makes me honored to call myself an American. To be a granddaughter, a daughter-in-law, a neighbor, and just a fellow citizen to those that care so much for our country that they risk their lives and sacrifice they and their families' futures (physical & emotional well beings) for the freedom of the United States.

Thank you.

No comments: