Thursday, February 17, 2011

pizzaburgers

What's for dinner? The most dreaded thought I have every day, lol. Nah, I am pretty good at meal planning in advance (sorta), but cooking is not one of my passions. So if you are visiting my blog for recipe ideas, I would direct you elsewhere!
However, I got a slow cooker recipe book for Christmas and sat down a few weeks ago and sticky-noted a few of the recipes. Tuesday I tried one. If you are looking for a recipe with just a few ingredients, you may have just found it.

Pizzaburgers submitted by Keborah Swartz, as found in Fix-It and Forget-It Christmas Cookbook

1 lb ground beef
1/2 c. chopped onions
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
8 oz. pizza sauce
10 3/4 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

1. Brown the ground beef and onion in skillet. Drain off drippings. Place in slow cooker.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients. Mix well.
3. Cover. Cook on Low 1-2 hrs.

The final result was runnier than I was thinking. I had though it'd be about the consistency of a mamwich type meal, however it was soupier than that. So, eating them open-faced with a fork was the solution. I ended up serving these over hoagie rolls, which I buttered, garlic-salted, and toasted.
My 7yr old didn't quite go for them like I thought she would. Honestly, I think it was the open-faced idea. If she's eating something on bread, she wants it as a sandwich. So, I served it in a bowl and she ate it, but didn't ask for seconds. My husband and I were delightfully surprised. I added some other spices - garlic powder, minced onion (because I didn't have a full 1/2 c chopped onions), as well as the called-for salt and pepper. It had a good taste. Different from mamwhich or bbq and the pizza sauce made it tangier than a spaghetti sauce would have been. I liked it!

p.s. To see other recipe ideas from Phyllis Pellman Good's slow cooker books, I found her blog here.

No comments: