Thursday, November 6, 2008

bluegrass rhythm and our spiritual life

"Remember: clap on the chuck not the boom" (David Crowder, speaking about the "boom-chuck rhythm" of bluegrass music)
from Be Lifted [Live] by David Crowder Band, Robbie Seay & Shane And Shane (from David Crowder's B Collision cd)


I wish I knew how to insert an mp3 to a post because this makes me laugh each time I listen to it - their little dialog at the end of the song instructing their concert fans on which beat to clap. If only the differences in right and wrong was so black & white. Hm. Wait - it is!
Something that saddens my heart is to see adult & teen Americans stating that there are no absolute rights and wrongs. "By a 3-to-1 margin (64% vs. 22%) adults said truth is always relative to the person and their situation. The perspective was even more lopsided among teenagers, 83% of whom said moral truth depends on the circumstances, and only 6% of whom said moral truth is absolute." (from The Barna Group, 2002). This study was done a mere six months after 9/11! I fear that the stats aren't much better today. "What works for you might not work for me, but that's ok" is the prevailing attitude. Yikes.
The truth is there is an absolute truth. It can be found in the Scriptures. I do believe there can be some gray issues, but regardless, His Word contains the absolute rights and wrongs. Whether I personally learn them, follow them, or believe in them makes no difference in their existence!

No comments: