Sunday, September 28, 2008

in the beginning

I'm reading Heaven by Randy Alcorn and I'm on chapter five. He brings up this point, which I guess is kinda a "duh" but it's something I've never even considered. Here's the beginning of the section (pg. 44): "Only God is eternal and self-existent. All else is created. Heaven is not synonymous with God, nor is it part of his essential being. Therefore, God must have created Heaven. It's not a place where He must dwell, but it is where He chooses to dwell." I know, refer to Genesis, you say. Genesis 1: 1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." But verses 2 and beyond continue with the forming of the earth, so I've just always followed along without a thought to the fact that God also formed Heaven. It didn't always exist, like God, but rather He formed it. I've kinda been thinking about Heaven and no, not from a suicidal way, but just when my time comes what it will be like to be reunited with my babies and others. You hear a lot about how to get there (that's good and very important!) but not much about what it will be like. So, I look forward to seeing where in Scripture Alcorn points his readers to in his 457 page book entitled, "Heaven" to make me think a little more about Heaven.

No comments: