Monday, March 7, 2011

the "fix"

"Sin comes in many varieties, but one of the primary strands is what I call a legitimate illegitimate sin. We attempt to meet a legitimate need, but we do it in an illegitimate way. We aren't patient enough to wait for God to meet the legitimate need in the legitimate way He has prescribed, so we look for a quick over-the-counter fix." (p.120 of Soulprint by Mark Batterson)

Ugh - why do we do this?! We are such a "fast food"-minded society. You can "have it your way" whenever you want. No need to slave over a hot stove, just pull up to the nearest drive-through, and wa-la, food at your fingertips. Just like our roaring stomachs can make it hard to wait for dinner, when discontentment and selfishness roar their ugly sinful heads off it is even harder to wait on the Lord.

My family has almost passed the fourteenth month mark of my husband's being let go from the church. We have been in the process of praying about and applying for Army chaplaincy for almost ten months now. We have slowly begun applying to a few church positions for about three months now. Some days more than others, I am tempted to look for that "quick over-the-counter fix." What can we do to make our monetary situation better? What can we do to make ends meet? The reality is that God has so amazingly provided for our family these 14 months. In really stopping and thinking about things, I don't know why I waste my time even looking for a quick fix! The lack of patience is a sin. Honestly, I'd much rather have His "legitimate" fix in my life than mine any day. Help my trust and patience in waiting on You, Father!

No comments: