Monday, February 9, 2009

sufficiency

I don't remember where, but in the first few months after losing Nathan, I remember reading the phrase daily sufficiency. The advice went something like this: When you can't even begin to think about anything beyond the moment you're living, pray for "daily sufficiency." The reasoning: God's grace is sufficient in all situations, especially the ones where we feel like we're spiraling out of control (my paraphrase of 2 Corinthians 12:9)
I had that phrase sticky-noted to my mirror for a time. It's recently been pulled down, but the idea isn't far from mind. Whether I'm frustrated with someone, feeling helpless over something I've gotten myself into, or just having a down day, asking God to fill my weakness with His grace will be more than enough (sufficient) for the situation (day).
The next time you feel like you're sinking in quicksand and it's threatening to pull you under, pray for God's sufficiency for that day. Ask Him to help guide you, just through the day. Just take it one day at a time - His grace is sufficient.

No comments: