Monday, December 22, 2008

not just a baby

If you've tuned in to a christian music radio station this season, you've heard Mercy Me's newest Christmas song. It's a good one and had me thinking this afternoon. First, here are the lyrics:

Joseph's Lullaby by Mercy Me
Go to sleep my Son
This manger for your bed
You have a long road before You
Rest Your little head

Can You feel the weight of Your glory?
Do You understand the price?
Does the Father guard Your heart for now
So You can sleep tonight?

Go to sleep my Son
Go and chase Your dreams
This world can wait for one more moment
Go and sleep in peace

I believe the glory of Heaven
Is lying in my arms tonight
Lord, I ask that He for just this moment
Simply be my child

Go to sleep my Son
Baby, close Your eyes
Soon enough You'll save the day
But for now, dear Child of mine
Oh my Jesus, Sleep tight


I believe that Jesus is fully God and fully human and I marvel in wonder at what that combination must have truly been like. At what point did He stop relying on His earthly mother and father? At what point did He have the knowledge that His purpose on earth was to die? How incapable and inadequate at times Mary and Joseph must have felt! They were taking care of the Savior, the Messiah, the One! They were changing His diapers, bathing Him, teaching Him to walk. I wonder if there was a tendency to treat Him as fragile? In the beginning, as new moms and dads, we have a tendency to be careful not to "break" our little infant, but I wonder if Mary felt the need to be extra careful his entire infancy/childhood? Or, did she have extra confidence because she knew that He was God's Son, sent for a purpose? Having confidence (faith!), knowing that this little one was sent by God Himself through a miracle conception, and that nothing would happen out of the Father's will for Him. But WAIT, that should be us - do we give our children up to our Heavenly Father, knowing that He gave them to us, that nothing will happen to them that is out of His sight? Hmmm...

No comments: