Tuesday, November 18, 2008

and the reply came

No surprise to God with how I was feeling last night - His reply? My breakfast devotion reading this morning.

"Guilt Guilt Go Away" (From Rise & Shine by Liz Curtis Higgs)
My audiences often ask me if I miss my children when I'm on the road speaking. Absolutely. (Although it is nice to look out on a room full of people who dressed themselves.)
For moms who travel, airport card shops now feature colorful greeting cards to mail to your kids back home. They have warn thoughts inside like, "Can't wait to hug you again" or "Mama misses you s-o-o-o-o much." What they really mean is, "Help! I'm on a guilt trip."
If you ask women what they want more of in their lives, they never shout out, "S ex!" or "Money!" Their response is always the same: "Time!" (I know, I know - if you had more time, you also might have more of the other two.) A working mother in Lansing wrote, "There just isn't enough of me to go around." Yeah, we get that.
No matter what our station in life, there is a guilt message formulated just for us....
Some of us have an internal "guilt table" to determine how badly we should feel:
Falling asleep during the 6pm news... 2
Sending store bought cookies to school... 5
Forgetting to pick up child (first time)... 9
Forgetting to pick up child (second time)... 342
...
"...casting all your care upon Him, for he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7


After spending some time with the Lord, I know I need to ease back a bit on my guilt meter, continue to "cast my care upon Him" and also not put so much pressure on Lynn or myself. The only child/first child inevitably gets more pressure for perfection on them and I do need to stick to our standards of discipline and child-rearing, but I need to not get so crazy about it that I push her into a perfection meltdown. :)

No comments: