Thursday, October 4, 2007

humility

"Humility is that grace that, when you know you have it, you have lost it." Andrew Murray (1800's) - pg. 29

"To clothe ourselves with humility sounds so easy - like donning a new blouse. In reality it's much more complicated. It's more like signing up for an extreme makeover that begins with the heart." Gracie Malone - pg. 35"

"It takes a more mature woman to love God just b/c He is God." (vs. when He's performing miracles or signs or doing things for us). Gracie Malone - pg. 34

In reading my devotional today, these couple of quotes really stood out to me from this chapter on humility. I think the main thing I would point out is that in humility the focus is off of "self." It's not thinking that we're so low we're worth nothing and it's also not comparing ourselves to others thinking we come out on top, better than another. It means we don't think solely of how an action or event affects us, but rather what we can do for others despite what inconvenience it causes us.

If you're like me, it's hard to put that in action with my family, where sadly, I should be following God's desire for humbleness by serving my family selflessly, but I don't always. I pray that the Lord would help me to support my family as a humble child of Christ, rather than a proud wife and mother who could come up with a selfish, prideful reply when asked to "please get me this" or "please do that."

Double check where your motivations come from today - are you thinking only of yourself or of others?

No comments: